Jean Seberg, A Style Icon...



Jean Seberg was a style icon long before the rise of all the chic ladies of the 60s... Her movie 'Bonjour Tristesse'(1958), is one of my all time favorite movies... Not only is Jean a treat to look at throughout the movie, I guarantee that you will be  captivated by the story...


     

Cecile and her playboy father used to have a 'happy' life until Anne is introduced to her father... I love how the movie starts and ends in black and white, and only when Cecile starts to narrate her story through a flashback, the colors begin...

“So here I am surrounded by my wall of memory
I try to stop remembering but I can’t…
And so often I wonder, when he’s alone, is he remebering too?…
I hope not.”
I'm still haunted by the ending scene of the movie...

The movie didn't get the acknowledgment it deserved at the time of its release, but Jean-Luc Godard, who at the time was still one of France's most notable film critics, was one of the film's early champions, he even cast Seberg the following year in his debut 'Breathless' or 'A Bout De Souffle'... He said that her character in 'Breathless' could have been Cecile a few years later...


A must-see movie by Jean-Luc Godard and, of course, another Jean Seberg film. Jean manages to be girly, confident, and sexy  at the same time but in an innocent and playful way.. In one scene, Jean sits on Jean Paul Belmondo’s bed wearing a pair of shorts, a striped sleeveless shirt, and his hat... Only Jean Seberg could look so gorgeous in stripes for two hours straight...
Jean's life was full of sadness and sorrows... She married 4 times and had 2 children, Nina her baby girl died after her birth as a result of Jean overdosing on sleeping pills during her pregnancy.
Her death remains a mystery, Some believe that she committed suicide in the back seat of an automobile in a Paris suburb. Her body was found 11 days later; others think that there's more to the story... She died at the young age of 40... "I never knew until I came here [Hollywood] that somebody could be really nice to you for years and really hate your guts. Happens all the time here." This is my absolute favorite Jean Seberg quote...

  

Comments

Popular Posts