EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW with Kismet by Milka Part I



Milka left her career in advertising behind to follow her passion as a jewelery designer, et voila Kismet was born...
Kismet was first introduced in London, shortly after that it was all over the US, UK, France, Switzerland, Kuwait, Dubai, and in numerous concept stores.
The designer uses pink gold, white, black, and cognac colored diamonds; and natural sapphires.
I have a Kismet by Milka bracelet that I never take off, It's kind of a good luck charm...  If you own a Kismet by Milka piece, you own a soulful jewel!
All her pieces are unique, individual, and very fashion forward. Owning a piece or two or even three will add a certain hip factor to any wardrobe!


I have been fortunate enough to get a 2 part exclusive with the gorgeous Milka, the 1st part is an exclusive interview and the 2nd part is getting to Know the woman behind the brand... 
Here's the EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW:

F:When did you first start designing jewelry?
M:I studied business administration and started working in advertising while I was studying. I enjoyed my job for 13 years, working for different brands from various sectors, learning about marketing, key decision making the future of well-known brands. I thought that communications was my dream career. I was doing well, working night and day and traveling a lot. Then I came to a point where I started questioning weather I wanted my life to continue like this. My answer was 'no'. It was a shocking realization for me. I was head of Client Relations when I decided to leave advertising. 
Accessories, jewelry, and fashion had always been a part of my life. I remember losing myself among the accessories my grandfather used to make when I was only 5 years old. The whole story started with me buying an evil eye gold necklace for a friend living in London. The necklace was liked so much that I started receiving orders whenever I visited London. And that's when I started designing jewelry. It began as a hobby. The more I learned, the more I created. A new door opened up for me and I went for it. I had found a new way to convey my thoughts, beliefs and views about life. I worked at the workshop and also at the agency for 6 months, then on April 1st, 2009 I quit my job. That was it. Kismet was born. I launched the brand with my evil eye collection. Eyes are the visual doors to life and looks can transmit negative or positive energy. I believe that wearing an evil eye protects you from those looks – the stones reflect the energy back. I created a new design of evil eye using white diamonds, natural sapphires, and gold. Now my evil eye collection has become one of my classics.


F:Why did you choose 'Kismet' as the name of your brand? I totally love it by the way...
M:Kismet is a word that I use in my daily life very often. Every second we make choices that shape our futures, meaning that we design our own future. Kismet is a powerful word; means luck, fate, destiny, and chance. It’s related to the future. I always say that the stones I use in my jewelry deflect negative looks/energy, and that is how I choose to protect myself and decide my own future. So this brand is my ‘Kismet’, my luck. I feel good when I wear my jewelry, it keeps my soul positive. I transfer this positive energy to my designs and people who wear Kismet are aware of this.

F:Designing jewelry is a very competitive business, how did you excel at presenting 'Kismet' to the world in such a short time?
M:I have simply 3 key principles: I believe in what I create, I work hard, I am aware of the moment – I see when an opportunity is there and I go for it.
When I first started 3.5 years ago, the only wish I had was to be able to express myself to the world, to be heard. And I am very happy to see that I am on the right track, everything I wished for is being alive. I know that step by step I will reach my big goal.

Celebrities wearing Kismet by Milka


F:Your pieces are very delicate and feminine, where do you get your inspiration from?
M:I travel a lot, I read a lot, and I am a good researcher. I like to learn about almost everything. I often have mood swings that affect my creations. Sometimes it’s a sentence of a book that I read, or a corner of a street that guides me to a concept... Every collection is born with a story, a philosophical sentence. First, I write the concept, the idea, then the belief behind it. Then I visualize and draw in my own way. I try to convey my feelings about the concept to the designs and wish my customers would feel the same way when they wear them. I wish that they'd see the world the way I see it...
 
F:When you design a piece, do you have a client in mind or is the piece so adaptable to every woman from every culture that you basically design for all women?
F:When I design a piece, I always think about the feeling that I want to convey with it.
I think jewelry is a way of living, of expressing who you really are. You need to feel it, see it through to reach the absolute harmony with your body & character and combine it with your outfit.
I am born and raised in Istanbul. I am in love with the city that I am living in. All my designs are modern and simple, yet authentic and mystical. You can feel the west and east combination, the effects of my origin.
My pieces are easy to wear. They are assertive but not flashy.
My designs are adaptable for women who have a simple and unique style, and like to take some risks in life at the same time.

F:Where do you see your line 10 years from now?
M:In 10 years, ‘Kismet by Milka’ will be one of the best and well-known fine jewelry brands in the world.


F:What was the first piece of jewelry you ever owned?
M:The first piece of jewelry I owned was the ring that my mom used to wear when she was 20 years old. My father gave it to her as a gift when they first got married in 1969. It is an old ring that has a vintage look, filled with rose cut diamonds. I still love it and wear it in special occasions.

F:Describe your perfect day?
M:I am working so hard that my perfect day would be: to wake up late and go to the beach with my boyfriend, swim and sunbath the whole day with a nice cocktail next to me.

F:What are your favorite cities? (list your favorite restaurants and shopping spots in each city)
M:Istanbul:
shopping spot: Nisantasi
restaurant: Sunset
London:
shopping spot: Portobello
restaurant: Soho House, Hakkasan, Nobu
Paris:
shopping spot: Le Marais
restaurant: Kong
New York:
shopping spot: Soho
restaurant: Per Se


F:List 3 items that are always present in your bag?
M:My Bottega wallet, my iPhone, and my Stella perfume.

F:Blogs are very 'in' these days, do you follow any fashion blogs?
M:Yes I do follow a lot of fashion blogs. It’s better than reading a monthly or weekly magazine. It’s more updated and you get the news faster. The good ones like yours definitely give a new perspective about everything related to art, fashion, and creativity.

F:Could you take pictures of 2 of your favorite outfits including jewelry, a casual day look and a night look.
M:



For more information visit her website:http://www.kismet-tr.com/ 

Comments

  1. awesome interview <3 i enjoyed reading it .. loved her designs it's beautifully detailed

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts