EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW with Krikor Jabotian


Krikor Jabotian is a couturier like no other, his pieces are truly one of a kind. It's rare when I stumble into such a talent, & I'm definitely in love! To create such exuberant pieces of art is a true inspiration... Each cress is reminiscent of a time when making clothes was not a business but an expression. His creations have caught the eyes of HRH Queen Rania, many actresses, & Arab socialites...


Here's my EXCLUSIVE with Krikor:

F:When did you know that fashion was a part of your life?

K:Since I was a child. It wasn’t really a conscious choice. Having my mother around was a constant inspiration.

F:What did you study and did it help you as a designer?
K:Fashion design taught me the basics, but self-improvement, trial & error, research, and educating myself; allowed me to get to where I am today.
 
F:What inspires you?
K:Anything and everything. Inspiration has no boundaries. I soak in my surroundings and find inspiration in the vulgar and the beautiful.
 
F:10 years from now, what do you want your line to be known for?
K:I believe my work is constantly taking on new dimensions, so I might be known for something I still haven’t yet discovered.
 
F:Describe the woman you design for?
K:Imperfect, charismatic, strong. I like women that think outside the box but are leveled. I also like women who have a sharp eye for detail. 


F:Who are your favorite designers?
K:Madame Grès, whose designs are timeless and still of great relevance today. I love Alexander McQueen’s twisted classicism. Christian Lacroix, whose designs are paintings that have come to life. Comme de garcon, for the construction and deconstruction of garments.




 
F:I know that you create gorgeous couture pieces, which I adore BTW, but don't you think it's time designers from the middle-east started designing pret-a-porter?
K:There’s a lot of difficulty when it comes to production. We’re not very advanced in terms of technology and equipment that produce proper pret-a-porter. Lebanese designers also have more of a red carpet appeal. Even when they do pret-a-porter it’s never really casual.
 


F:If you were to choose one must have item from your latest collection, what would it be?
K:The off-white gazar jacket, embroidered with three-dimensional chunky gold ornaments.

F:What do you do in your spare time?
K:I like being in the comfort of my own home. In bed with my music and laptop, that’s how I fall asleep.
 
F:What tips would you give to an aspiring designer?
K:Follow your heart – Ha! No I’m joking… Be open to all possibilities. Even if you think you’ve figured out your identity, experiment.
 
F:What are your daily rituals, without which your day would be ruined?
K:Going to the atelier, working out, checking up on the people I love, and a nice coffee break.
 
F:Blogs are very 'in' these days, do you follow any fashion blogs?
K:Not very much into blogs.
 
F:Are you thinking of stocking in Dubai, Doha, or Riyadh? If not, you have to be available online through your website!
K:It hasn’t happened yet but I like the idea.
 
F:Could you take pictures of 2 of your favorite outfits, an everyday look and a night out look.
 
K:

For more information visit: 

Comments

  1. Hello,

    Please contact me for copyright purposes. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts