EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW with Tahir Sultan




Tahir Sultan is a Kuwaiti Designer, he graduated from St.Martins and launched his first collection in 2008. His creations are a treat for the eyes. They tell a story that contains both western and eastern elements. He recently showed his collection during London Fashion Week for the second time and has had enormous success... 




I've had the pleasure to get an EXCLUSIVE with Tahir:


F:When did you know that fashion was a part of your life? 
T:I don’t know if fashion is a part of my life , I am more into style... Natural personal style. That which makes one unique. I never follow trends, I just go with an inner feeling. I know I wanted to work with clothes when I was 14, I saw madonna's video 'vogue' and thought amazing I want to do that! However, I ended up studying art history and Architecture, and then later went to Central Saint Martins to study fashion.

F:You are truly blessed to have worked with the 2 legends of fashion: Alexander McQueen and John Galliano, what did you learn from them? 
T:The best thing about working with them was learning the intricate ins and outs of the fashion industry that one would never otherwise learn. How to style, how to gather inspiration, to place embroideries, how to prepare for shows, style look books, do line ups and fittings... Both designers are inspirational, and working in that environment always rubs off on one. Both experiences had  a huge impact on me  and how I approach design.  But they also taught me the importance of a healthy working environment.




F:10 years from now, what do you want your line to be known for? 
T:Ten years from now I want it to be known as inspirational, I want it to influence people, I especially want people from this region to sit up and say , I can do that I can follow my dreams I can make it in the big bad world of fashion...  and cite me. I was afforded the best education , and have worked hard and had great experiences, life is about sharing, so yes while I want a full fledged huge fashion label, I also want to make a difference.  I already have the label involved in some charities. I would like to expand on this process, and use it as a tool to help others.

F:How did  you achieve international success in a short time your designs have been worn by celebrities such as Kimberely Wyatt of the Pussy Cat Dolls and Alexandra Burke, winner of X-Factor UK, Natalie Dormer from Game of Thrones, and most recently Samantha Faiers to the premier of breaking dawn 2 of the  twilight  series? 

T:To be honest, I achieved it through my PR team. I mean of course I work really hard with the product so that celebs want to be seen in my clothes, but I also decided I had to get representation... And we make a good team.

F:Are you inspired by vintage clothing or old films? 
T:I am very inspired by old films, vintage clothes, Flea markets, and restaurants.  Everything and anything, I love anything with a history- with a sense of the past. That have a story to tell, that rain coat did it belong to a young man, when and how was it worn was it his favorite, was he always that thin. Or a Vintage dress,  Did the woman cherish it, what did she wear it to , did she wear it more than once? It really is the stories and the mystery behind anything old that lends it its character, and fashion is all about whimsy, fancifulness, drama, stories and scandal.

F:Your designs are very Victorian meets bohemian with a modern twist, what inspires you? 
T:Everything inspires me, I am always working mentally, no matter where I am I always make mental notes that will feed into my work eventually.  Like I said I love history but touch upon both my Indian and Arab heritage, so that lends a twist.

F:Who are your favorite designers?
T:At the moment I still love Alber Elbaz  for Lanvin, his stuff is amazing. I also really love Comme Des Garcon.

F:What are your favorite cities? (list your favorite restaurants and shopping spots in each city)
T:My favourite cities are  London, Paris, New York, and  Florence... I would never give my secret eating spots away lest they become too crowded. I actually hate shopping, I go to galleries, Museums, I walk around and discover what's new. I love the ballet, I go to bars and clubs, because they are filled with the most interestingly dressed people a gold mine for inspiration.

F:What do you do in your spare time? 
T:Spare time hahahahaha what spare time,  when I have spare time I love hosting dinner parties, reading, going out and coming home when the sun is up, I love travelling, dancing and cooking.

F:What tips would you give to an aspiring designer?
T:Be prepared for a lot of hard work, and push yourself to be unique. Don’t become depressed when people put you down, and always remember who you are and where you came from.

F:Blogs are very 'in' these days, do you follow any fashion blogs? 
T:I do some times they are great for exploring and discovering  different young up and coming quirky designers and design.

F:Are you thinking of opening your own boutique?
T:For the moment no, I am working on expanding my label but no plans for a boutique just yet.

For the moment you can find my clothes at Harvey Nichols in Kuwait.
Also if people want to follow me

Instagram @tahirsultan

Facebook: tahir sultan designs

Twitter: @tahirsultan

Email: info@tahirsultan.com


Comments

Popular Posts