EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW with Tatuna Nikolaishvili

Last Summer I started searching for designers that I haven't heard of, new, hot, and most importantly TALENTED. One of the most promising ones was Tatuna Nikolaishvili. She is a 26 year old Georgian based designer who has been keen on sewing and drawing from a very young age. Her creations are described as a modern take on classic feminism with a distinct form and structure. The best thing about interviewing designers is trying to understand them, their lives, and inspirations... Take notes fashionistas for the name Tatuna will be on everyone's tongue soon enough... 

F:When did you know that fashion was a part of your life? 
T:From the very early childhood I was drawing and designing my own garments. From there on, I knew that in the future I would become a fashion designer.

F:What did you study and did it help you as a designer? 

T:Before graduating high school, I was already working as an intern in one of the Georgian designers' atelier. At the age of 18 I applied and got accepted at the Tbilisi State Academy of Art, and acquired my BA in Fashion Design.



F:What inspires you? 
T:My inspiration comes from everywhere... It can be from meeting new people and being introduced to their style and life to new places where I travel, or it can be from my mystical city Tbilisi where everyday I discover something new.

F:5 years from now, what do you want your line to be known for? 

T:Five years from now, I would like my brand to be known as sophisticated unique yet edgy. Quality is and will be one of the main aspects of my brand. Almost everything is handmade, personally designed, and supervised by me. I would like that to be an essential part of my brand in the future.





F:You've participated in both Georgian & Ukrainian fashion weeks, Is Paris, Milan, or London in the horizon for you? 
T:My biggest wish and aim in the future is to be able to show my collections at Paris Fashion Week.

F:Your designs are structured yet minimalistic, trendy and modern; who is the ideal woman that you design for?
 

T:The woman I design for is very energetic and full of life. She knows what she wants and is not afraid to work for it. she juggles work and family in her everyday routine. She manages to have fun and enjoy it all, whether its taking kids to the park, being at the atelier with the customers, or having some spare time to have drinks with friends. She does all this and makes it look easy and stylish. This all would describe my own lifestyle and character!

F:Who are your favorite designers?
 

T:Rick Owens, Maison Martin Margiela, and Haider Ackermann.

F:Who are your style icons? 

T:I haven't really got any style Icons, never really gave it much thought.

F:What are your favorite cities?

T:My top four cities are : Tbilisi, Barcelona, Istanbul, and Paris.

F:List 3 items that are always present in your bag? 

T:I always have my wallet, iPhone, sunglasses, and perfume. The latest perfume I use is Juliette has a Gun.

F:When will you open a boutique? Are you thinking of stocking in Dubai, Doha, or Riyadh? If not, you have to be available online ASAP! 

T:I already have a workshop/showroom in Tbilisi where I design and sell. In the near future, I would definitely love to stock in Dubai... But at this time I don't have any opportunity to do so... As for now, I don't have my own online shop but my cloths are sold online by www.moreislove.com where you can find my capsule collection designed specially for moreislove, also my clothes are available at www.buybyme.com  or you can personally contact me through e-mail after checking my work on my Facebook page or my Instagram account @tatunanikolaishvili

F:Could you take 2 pictures of your favorite outfits, an everyday look and a night out look.

T: 


Comments

Popular Posts