EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW with Amna AlSalem


I have to admit that not a lot of Khaleeji talents catch my eye, however, this one is a gem! I first heard Amna AlSalem's name on Noor AlSabah's instagram feed, she was wearing one of her dresses and being a  Noor fan. I quickly checked out the name... Amna.AlSalem. I met her in Dubai over tea and macarons and we just clicked, really hit it off, like old friends, the conversation went on and on... We talked fashion, her look book (I was the first to get a glimpse of it back in March!), and how hard it is to make it in this cutthroat industry. I give you the girl behind the brand:


F:When did you know that fashion was a part of your life?
A:Both the design and creative fields have been a huge part of my life, and since a very early age I have always managed to have my way of doing things. I always find time to create something new; draw or paint something, and Expressing my self in my own way. Fashion is a huge extension of that Love.


F:You design luxurious pert-a-porter pieces, what is the idea behind your brand and what triggered you to start designing?
A:That's a bit hard, well fashion is a reflection of how I see things, the idea behind my brand is to create beautiful feminine a bit dramatic yet elegant and most importantly wearable clothing, I want people to wear my stuff and turn heads, impress others and never fail to look elegant and beautiful.

I always knew that I wanted to do something in the creative field so I did. After all the process of creating something brings a rush of excitement to my life and so much joy to my heart.


F:Designing nowadays is a very competitive business, how do you excel at presenting your brand and where do you see it 5 years from now?
A:It is a super competitive business, but I love a challenge. I'm not sure what's the secret to that, I work hard and I present things that I believe in and personally in love with...

Where do I see my brand in 5 years, maybe we should just wait and see I'm not very good in predicting things, but I'll keep my fingers crossed and I will hope for the very best.


F:What is the inspiration behind your latest collection?
A:Having a baby! I went through lots of emotions I wanted to celebrate emotions, the good and bad, I wanted to celebrate life..



F:What inspires you?
A:Everything!


F:Who are your favorite designers?
A:Giambattista Valli and Christian Dior.


F:Who are your style icons? 
A:Ulyana Sergeenko and Diane Kruger.


F:What are your favorite cities? (list your favorite restaurants and shopping spots in each city)
A:New York: the modern restaurant, Soho area and a few boutiques here and there...

Paris: breakfast at Cafe de Flore, other than that I randomly walk in to check the menu and if I like it I'll spontaneously decide to eat there. I rarely go to the same restaurant twice. As for shopping, I have to say Colette.


F:What do you do in your spare time?
A:I travel.


F:List 3 items that are always present in your bag?
A:lipstick, phone, and my note agenda.


F:Blogs are very 'in' these days, do you follow any fashion blogs?
A:whenever I have the time, sure I do.


F:Are you thinking of opening your own boutique, and where can we find you in both the GCC and worldwide?
A:When the right time comes... As for the now, you can find me at AlOthman Boutique in Kuwait.

For more information visit: www.amnaalsalem.com

Comments

Popular Posts